Monday, June 11, 2007

The Future of Gaming

We know there are many geeks out there who play video games. Even if they try to deny it, we know they game. Anyway, since the first mmorpg that was released which I believe is Ultima Online. Since that time, the explosion of the mmorpg genre rise to insane proportions. Much thanks to World of Warcraft who in my opinion really generated the popularity for mmorpgs. The first mmorpg that I got hooked into was Everquest. Boy was this a really great game! Too bad it's a stinky ever since SOE aquired them. But, will the increase growth of mmorpgs push other gaming genres to extinction? Specifically singleplayer rpgs like Oblivion, Gothic 3, Knights of the Old Republic, Dungeon Siege II, and etc.

In my opinion, if the continuing trend of mmorpgs consistently increases, we may see the end of singleplayer rpgs and developers opting to only go with online gaming. The first rpg game that really got me hooked was Deus Ex. Well, this game was a hybrid of fps/rpg. But its rpg element was really really good!

So I ask you my fellow geeks, is the future of gaming will be only online gaming? Are we destined to be conquered by mmorpgs of the future? I believe so!

Single-Player RPGs On It's Way Out?

No comments: